Randalls was established by Robert Henry Randall (RH) in St Peter Port, Guernsey in 1868. The original site, Vauxlaurens Brewery, remained the home of Randalls for 140 years. Typically for a Victorian entrepreneur, RH Randall expanded the business rapidly, products as diverse as soft drinks and rubber stamps were all made bearing the Randalls name. However, beer remained at the heart of Randalls and RH further expanded the business by purchasing public houses; many of which remain part of the company today.
In 1900, following the death of RH, his son Robert William Randall (RW) took over the running of the company at the tender age of 22. RW proved equal to the challenge and further expanded the business; turning Randalls into a limited company. R.W. Randall Ltd remains our registered name to this day.
As well as developing the business many members of the Randalls family served in the armed forces and were awarded numerous honours. When the Royal Guernsey Militia was reconstituted in 1922, RW was made Honorary Lieutenant Colonel. This re-established the family’s link with the local garrison which they had supplied with beer prior to its disbandment.
Members of the Randalls family owned and ran R.W. Randall Ltd right up until 2006, when they decided to sell the company to a group of private investors. Under new leadership and with new investment, Randalls has been re-invigorated. This has seen a move to a purpose built warehouse, the redevelopment of the Prince of Wales and Rockmount public houses, the installation of a bespoke 60hl brewery, the purchase of a chain of off-licences and airport shops and the refurbishment of many of its tenanted pubs.